Wednesday, April 17, 2013

TECHNOLOGY TO THE RESCUE

I chose to write about surgeries on humans that use innovative products in conjunction with traditional corrective surgery. My research shows that demand for surgeries to repair damaged bone and cartilage has increased. This coupled with profitable investment that encourages successful new discoveries, has led to exciting breakthroughs to enhance surgery. Repair to damaged bone and cartilage in humans interests me. Introducing technology to aid this is a benefit to anyone who lives with pain or damaged and hard-working limbs. Repetitive stress put on our bones and cartilage means that our bones, which contain living cells, may not be able to repair themselves without help. Bones are able to produce more osteoclasts and osteoblasts, to a certain degree, but cartilage often wears thin with time, and this is when humans need additional help.
Watching a video and reading the information below it, ABC news online ran a story about a middle aged man with knee problems due to loss of cartilage. “Cartistem, a stem cell drug used to repair cartilage damage…(is) made from cells found in the umbilical cord blood” (Perez, Sylvia). This new drug combined with “microfracture surgery...is one of the first applications…in the orthopedic space” (Perez, Sylvia). It is being used already in surgeries, but is still in its early stages and requires extensive study and results to back it up further.
Another on-line article showed me a different new technology to aid surgery. “VENADO Foam Strips… (are) designed to enhance bone regeneration and act as an osteogenic stimulus after spine surgery” (Foam Strips). The strips reportedly “are purified fibrillar collagen and biphasic granules… (that) hydrate quickly…and become very flexible and moldable, yet are less likely to dissociate or break apart” (Foam Strips). After surgery when the body is trying to repair the damage on its own, “the implant functions as a scaffold for osteogenic components” (Foam Strips).
In my ignorance of bone surgery, this final piece of research showed a truly interesting approach to “conventional delivery methods of bone graft substitutes during orthopedic surgeries” (Innovative Bone).  By using “preloaded (syringes) with ready-to-use NovaBone Putty…works by delivering an osteoconductive matrix while signaling and stimulating osteoblastic activity to the orthopedic surgical site” (Innovative Bone). This product has the stamp of approval from the FDA and is “a versatile bone graft substitute…(who’s) binder resists migration during irrigation, allowing the bioactive component to stay as placed” (Innovative Bone). How fascinating to think that science developed this product with such a simple delivery approach, using a preloaded syringe to do the task of getting it to the site.
Image: The NovaBone Putty synthetic bone graft
(photo courtesy of NovaBone).

Finally, I was able to research how lucrative technological improvements to standard surgical procedures is. “New analysis from Frost & Sullivan’s …Market research finds the market earned revenue of $1.60 billion in 2012” (Advances). Their findings go on to show that this profit margin will only increase and “the prices for bone graft products have started escalating”(Advances). Not surprisingly, “strong clinical data will give a significant boost to investor’s interest in the bone grafts and bone graft substitutes market” (Advanced).
To summarize, I found that Cartistem, VENADO Foam Strips, and NovaBone Putty are all manmade products scientifically developed as aids used together with corrective surgeries. Their use in surgeries is increasing rapidly. As long as investors can see proven results coupled with research and reliable data, the sky is the limit and technology that works will be used in the future. Humans of today live longer due to improved nutrition, and healthcare. Why shouldn’t such findings be used to improve our physical strength as we age?
Sources
“Advances in Surgical Technologies Boost Demand for Efficient Bone Graft Substitutes, Finds Frost & Sullivan.” Yahoo Finance. March 27, 2013. Web, 10 April, 2013. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/advances-surgical-technologies-boost-demand-115900157.html
“Foam Strips and Bone Graft Systems Biologics.” Today’s Medical Developments. n.d. Web. 10, April 2013. http://www.onlinetmd.com/medical-bone-graft-systems-k2m-040413.aspx
“Innovative Bone Graft Delivery System for Orthopedic Surgery.” HospiMedica International. October 21, 2013. Web, 10 April, 2013. http://www.hospimedica.com/surgical_techniques/articles/294731659/innovative_bone_graft_delivery_system_for_orthopedic_surgery.html
Perez, Sylvia and Christine Tressel. “Innovative stem cell procedure could repair knee damage.” ABC News. April 9, 2013. Web, 10 April, 2013. http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/health&id=9059286

Part 2.
1.    What one assignment or activity you performed in this unit are you the most proud of?
I thoroughly enjoyed the Evolution section in Chapter 22 and so I related to the Lab exercise for that chapter. I chose Tenrecs of Madagascar to write about. Because I enjoyed the Chapter, I enjoyed the Lab, especially as I was able to use my imagination instead of just relying on text and factual material.

2.    Why did you enroll in this biology class?
I enrolled in this Biology class because it was a pre-requisite in my General Education section. I chose this as one of my Lab classes because it sounded interesting and I would rather learn about the human body instead of the earth and plants. I might one day need parts of this course if I continue with my thoughts of becoming a Counselor.

3.    Did you feel prepared for this experience when you registered?
No, I knew I would be out of my depth and be learning material I have never learned before. It is my first Biology class ever, and I didn’t do much of the early chapters when I went to school in Africa. I had my 8th grader son and my college student daughter help me go back to basics as there was a lot of material that was completely new to me.

4.    How was your experience different from your expectations?
I had asked around and heard this is a difficult subject with a lot of new material to learn. I knew going into the class that it would be hard, so I was mentally prepared. I was however, constantly overwhelmed with the amount of detailed material that was presented, and it was a struggle to keep up with a full time job, lots of overtime work hours, and being a wife and mother.

5.    What can I do to help you?
Having emails answered in a timely manner really helped when I had questions. There were a few parts of the course where I struggled to understand the concepts, but you really came through for me. I relied heavily on your recorded chapters because your details explained more than just the print version.

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy reading your papers. They are so well-organized and look at topics that are very interesting. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete